The Durango High School Alumni Association bestows this award on one DHS Senior who best demonstrates the essential attributes to be considered “distinguished” among his or her peers. This student will demonstrate:
- Passion and perserverance to pursue a goal or interest
- Self-discipline and respect for others
- Integrity in all areas of life
- Most Important: The kind of positive and responsible charisma that inspires others to reach higher themselves.
The DHS Alumni Association believes that the attributes, as outlined above, best equip a student for the joyful, lifelong pursuit of excellence in self and for others. These attributes were exemplified in the life of the late DHS Alumnus, Captain Jeff Kuss.
GPA Requirement: This award has no minimum GPA and is not given for specific academic or athletic performance.
Eligibility: To be considered, a candidate must receive at least THREE (3) nominations. This is not a popularity contest. Every qualified nominee will receive consideration, regardless of number of nominations beyond the required three (3).
Who can nominate a student? Any DHS Teacher, 9-R Staff Member, 9-R Administrator and DHS Student can nominate a graduating DHS Senior.
Deadline to Nominate: February 1st at 11:59 PM
Selection: The recipient will be selected by the DEF Scholarship Committee, in conjunction with representatives from the Durango High School Alumni Association.
1. Access the Electronic Application and complete all required information
2. Download the PDF fillable Nomination Form by clicking the link below.
3. Complete the Nomination Form in it’s entirety. Please remember to include the student’s (nominee) name and your (nominator) name at the top of the nomination form. Don’t forget to save prior to upload!
4. Upload the Nomination Form into the Electronic Application System when prompted and submit the Electronic Application.
Electronic Application Link: [Link Coming Soon]
This campaign is wholly managed by the Durango High School Alumni Association, under the fiscal agency of the Durango Education Foundation, an independent 501(c)3 charity that develops resources for and recognizes excellence in Durango School District 9-R.