…Those who have endured some misfortune will always be set apart, but that it is just that misfortune which is their gift and which is their strength…Cormac McCarthy
The Paving a Pathway Scholarship is an education scholarship designed to assist students, who have been referred to a Durango Juvenile Court or LPYS Diversion Program and who have a desire to change their lives through education. Scholarships are based on meeting set criteria. Applicants should be aware that personal interviews may be requested by the Scholarship Committee (a DEF representative, DEF Executive Director and/or Scholarship Donor representative).
Application Cycle: November 15, 2019 – February 1, 2020
Deadline to Submit: February 1, 2020 by 11:59 PM
Award Amount: up to $5,000 total over the course of 4 years to student’s choice school
Selection: Recipients will be selected by the DEF Scholarship Committee, in conjunction with the Martin Family, LPYS representative, and DPD School Resource Officer
Any Durango School District 9-R graduating senior, who resides in La Plata County and who has, at one time, been referred to LPYS Diversion Program or Juvenile/Family Court is eligible.
– To qualify, student must plan to attend an institution of high learning, such as community college, vocational/technical school, or university
– Be in their senior year at Durango High School or Big Picture High School
– Remain in good standing, and be able to produce a letter from principal or counselor to verify on track for graduation
– Have been referred to and successfully completed LPYS Diversion Program
– If an adult (17 years of age or over), have not been charged with a Felony Act Against Persons
– Have a La Plata Youth Services (LPYS) Youth Advocate
– Include a letter of acceptance or other form of acceptance from the institution of higher learning that he/she intends to attend
– All information requested in the application must be completed and/or provided in order for the application to be considered.
1. Contact your High School Counselor or visit La Plata Youth Services for help with completing the application.
2. Complete the PDF Fillable Application by clicking the Button/Link below
3. Submit your application via email to DEFScholarships@gmail.com. Please remember to include your name and scholarship name in the email subject line.