Application Cycle: November 15, 2019 – February 1, 2020
Deadline to Submit: February 1, 2020 by 11:59 PM
Award Amount: $1,000 to student’s choice school, possibility to renew for one additional year.
The scholarship will be paid directly to the recipient’s school of choice, to apply to tuition, fees, books, equipment and other supplies required in the coursework. Ideally, the school will be certified by ASE or the equivalent and it must show a record of preparing students to enter the workforce qualified as skill apprentices.
Selection: An interview may be required before final decisions (student will be contacted individually)
This award is made possible by the owners of the Morehart Murphy Regional Auto Center and is administered by the Durango Education Foundation. Recipients will be selected by the DEF Scholarship committee in conjunction with representative(s) of MMRAC.
This award supports a student graduating from Durango School District 9-R high school (or other program as approved by the donor), desiring post-secondary education to prepare for a profession as a light truck and automotive technician. The winning candidate will show evidence of a strong interest in the field and demonstrate integrity, a good work ethic and a willingness to learn.
To be eligible, student must:
– Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
– Have attended at least two (2) years in any Durango 9-R High School Program
Applications are by electronic-submission only via the link provided. If you do not have access to a computer, please inform your High School Counselor. To ensure a complete application, please read through the details below.
A complete application will include:
1. All student information (i.e. name, contact information, GPA, intended colleges, etc)
2. Current transcript showing a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
3. Letter of Interest (450 words maximum) that describes:
– experience with automotive
– future plans
– why this field is a strong interest
– your chosen school
– why you believe that school will prepare you to enter the workforce
4. Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (LORs) specifically addressing your qualifications to pursue this educational direction and career from the following:
– LOR #1: Teacher
– LOR #2: Employer
5. Students will be contacted individually if an interview is required