Given to a student graduating from Durango High School or Big Picture High School who is pursuing higher education or vocational training at any accredited vocational institute, university or community college. Awarded to a student with obstacles to overcome. Preference given to students requiring financial assistance.
Application Cycle: November 15, 2019 (tentative) – February 1, 2020
Deadline to Submit: February 1, 2020 by 11:59 PM
Award Amount: $1,000 to student’s choice school
Selection: Recipients will be selected by the DEF Scholarship Committee, in conjunction with the Sachs Construction, LLC. Finalists may be requested to interview.
Student will demonstrate:
– Discipline and determination in school
– Achieving at the extent of, or attempting to achieve beyond, his or her presumed abilities
– Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above
– A clear focus and a demonstrated passion for higher education in the focus area
Applications are by electronic-submission only via the link provided. If you do not have access to a computer, please inform your High School Counselor. To ensure a complete application, please carefully read through the details below.
A complete application will include:
1. All student information (i.e. name, contact information, GPA, intended colleges, etc)
2. Current transcript and senior year mid-term grades. Please note: a complete senior transcript showing sustained GPA may be required before award is remitted to student’s choice college
3. Letter of Interest (400-500 words) that addresses:
– How the above criteria are met
– Specific goals for the future
– How higher education will support your goals
– Challenges still to be overcome
4. Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (LORs) written by teachers/staff working directly with the student through the duration of his/her high school experience and specifically addresses student’s successes during their high school experiences