2020-2021 Scholarship Cycle: Applications will be accepted
November 15, 2020 – February 1, 2021
- Always 100% Effort – Joe Burtoni Scholarship($1,000) open to Animas High School, Big Picture High School and Durango High School seniors
- Brinton Family Girls’ Swimming Scholarship($1,000) open to Animas High School and Duango High School seniors
- Durango High School Alumni Association – Distinguished Student Award ($ 1,500)
Awarded by Nominations Only
- Elizabeth Testa Memorial School Board Scholarship ($2,500)
- Martin Family “Paving a Pathway” Scholarship(up to $5,000 over the course of 4 years, as determined by Donor)
- Mary Ruth Bowman Boys’ Swimming Scholarship ($1,500)
- Morehart Murphy Regional Auto Center: Automotive Scholarship ($1,000)
possibility to renew, pending DEF & Donor Approval
- Newbold Family Scholarship I & II ($2,000)
Two scholarships will be awarded to students planning to attend Fort Lewis College
- Sachs Construction, LLC Scholarship ($1,000)
- Steve A. Torres Scholarship ($2,000) Open to Big Picture High School seniors only
- Zink Family Scholarship ($2,000)
- Walt Anderson Memorial Scholarship ($500) by nomination-only
- Tom & Ann Hartney Scholarship in partnership with the Rotary Club of Durango ($2,000)
- DLM Scholarship ($10,000) possibility to renew up to three additional years, pending Donor Approval **Not available this year
Who is Eligible to apply?
D.E.F. administers a variety of scholarships which are open to Durango High School and Durango Big Picture High School seniors only, unless otherwise indicated on the individual scholarship criteria.
When does the Application Cycle open?
The application cycle for the 2020-21 academic year begins November 15, 2020. We ask that applicants thoughtfully review the criteria for each scholarship and apply only as appropriate.
When are applications due?
The deadline to apply is February 1st.
Electronic submissions will be accepted until February 1 at 11:59 PM.
What if I do not have access to a computer, how do I submit my application?
If you do not have access to a computer, please contact your High School Counselor and/or the DEF Executive Director.
When will recipients be notified?
Notification of recipients will be made within four weeks of deadline.
Who should I contact if I have any questions?
Contact Durango Education Foundation via phone at (970) 385-1491 or by email at 9RFoundation@gmail.com
What are other tips and notes I should be aware of?
- Applicants will be able to submit all applications with one submission. To do so, select all scholarships you intend to apply for. Be sure to upload all required materials for each scholarship. Check individual scholarship criteria for eligibility and application requirements PRIOR to completing the application.
- Applicants should use their essays to address the unique criteria of each offering. Be open and honest – the Scholarship Committee would like to get to know you as an individual!
- Photocopied transcripts are acceptable, provided that student’s name appears within the original print of the copy (not typed in separately). Evidence of tampering will be reason to refuse application.
- Recommendation letters must be signed and on official letterhead. Ideally, recommendation letters will address the applicant’s qualifications that are specifically relevant to the scholarship in question. Evidence of tampering will be reason to refuse application.
- DO NOT submit duplicate applications. We DO NOT accept partial applications and we WILL NOT compile materials received separately.
- DO NOT submit a headshot or photograph of yourself
- Unless noted otherwise specifically, scholarships are not renewable.
- Contact (970) 385-1491 or DEFScholarships@gmail.com for questions and/or help!